"I look at her and even thought it's dark, I can see her. She looks far away but she is present and awake. She is transfixed like they sometimes say about the people at Mama's church. I see her in the moonlight, and not once does she stumble or lose her hold or her bearings. Not once, even crying the way she is. She walks like a strong woman chasing her God and I'm surprised how fast she moves. My feelings about her change. One moment I think she is a stranger and she is insane. I don't know her anymore. She is a stranger to her own self, too. The next moment I am surprised and proud, wishing I could believe like she does, follow the blood, the tracks, wishing I had such a calling."
- page 61, Power
I chose this passage because it speaks highly to the duality that Omishto exists in. She is caught in between two worlds, and her feelings about Ama are often influenced by the feelings she has about her self and the place in which she belongs in the world. By highlighting both negative and positive thoughts about Ama, we are given insight to the positives and negatives Omishto must feel about choosing either Mama's or Ama's world. Using "Mama's church" as a reference to the transfixion that Ama has, Omishto is blurring the line between her two worlds. I believe her feelings of being "surprised and proud" speak more to her feelings about the Taiga traditions than her feelings about Ama. This passage effectively draws attention to the mixture of feelings Omishto experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment