Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The experience of reading a play changes the perspective through which the story is seen. When reading a play, I always feel that I have insider knowledge. I am instructed on how the characters are positioned, and their reactions are detailed. However, when body language isn't emphasized, it allows the reader to put their own perspective on the situation. Novels give more descriptions, whereas plays tend to focus on staging and dialogue. I enjoy this, however, because it allows the reader to infer the tone of the character, and the way in which words are spoken. I don't believe there is a hinderance from reading a play, it simply portrays the story in a different medium.

3 comments:

  1. Great observations. I absolutely agree with the tone, especially, I have the different voices playing in my head as I read. As well as, the character movement throughout each scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the experience of reading a play changes how I see the story, and I also think that it allows me to have some sort of insider knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you mention that plays, if read, often allow readers to infer tone and even stage position. There is definitely more room for the reader to have a broader experience with less details.

    ReplyDelete