Wednesday, March 30, 2016

"Servants of the Map"

Personally, the idea of climbing a mountain has always seemed ridiculous. I can't imagine forcing myself to climb up to the top of a mountain, regardless of how beautiful people say the view is, or how overwhelming the feeling of accomplishment. There are plenty of beautiful places I can see with much more ease, and much simpler tasks that give me a feeling of accomplishment. Climbing a mountain has never been something I have desired to do.

However, each day, there is a hurdle we much overcome. A mountain to climb. When we "reach the top" of our mountain, the view is beautiful, and we feel accomplished. I enjoyed the HONY post, and the connection made between journey and destination. Most emphasis is put on the destination, however, the focus should be on the journey taken to get there. Each step taken towards the destination changes perspective, and entices personal growth. Whether or not we reach the destination, we have made progress. There is something to be said about putting in the work, even if the results aren't the most desirable outcome. Climbing a mountain teaches us what we can accomplish, pushes us to be better, and forces us to break out of our comfort zones.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the journey up the mountain is just as important the destination. If we can't appreciate the journey than we lose most of our lives.

    ReplyDelete